Sunday, July 26, 2009

Fishing trip to Galveston. July 3, 2009


Chuck was off today, so we decided to go down to Galveston, to go fishing. We weren't sure if we were going to fish off the jetty, or go west and fish in the surf. When we arrived in Galveston we had a hard time finding some shrimp...I guess everyone else came down today to go fishing! So, we went down toward St. Luis pass, where we found a small bait shop, just off the main road. We decided to just fish off shore on the beach near by.
After we carted everything from the car to the beach, we set up and our gear and headed out to fish. Just after throwing my line out ,I caught a crab that wouldn't let go until I got about 10 feet from the beach. Austin thought that was pretty cool! The current was pushing our lines right back into shore so we had to walk out about a mile where the water line went from brown to blue water. Austin didn't want to stay in shore by himself and kept trying to come out to where Chuck and I were (to deep.) So, I went in shore ,and caught Austin some shad with the net so that he could dig holes and keep the tiny fish in them to play with. Remember that crab I caught? Well while Austin was playing in the surf, a crab nipped the side of his foot. He ran over to me screaming that a crab pinched him. It was just a small cut, where the crab broke the skin...nothing major...and soon forgotten. After about an hour, Chuck came back in and traded me places so that I could go out and fish. We had to walk out to the third sandbar, and a few times I had to swim with my pole because it was over my head. As I was fishing, Chuck came out with Austin on his back so they could see how I was doing. We we're catching quite a few fish, but they were only 12-14 inches long. After that, Chuck and I just took turns casting or playing with Austin in the water. We were standing in chest deep water on the sand bar and the current was a bit strong, so we had to keep Austin pretty close to us. But a good time was had by all. We stayed until about 1 o'clock and then headed for home. No big fish for dinner...but the lucky pole was working...Thanks Richmond's!


We were all pretty tired...it was a quiet ride home!

No comments: